• How much does a custom concrete job cost?
• Will concrete counters stain?
• How do I keep concrete clean?
• If you are driving at the speed of light and you turn on your headlights, what happens?
• Is concrete a green product?
• Do you follow any industry standards?
• Can concrete crack or chip?
• Who coined the phrase, "coined the phrase"?
• Do you pour-in-place or is it precast?
• How thick is a concrete countertop?
• How much does concrete weigh?
• What is another word for "thesaurus"?
• What is the maximum unsupported cantilever for a concrete counter?
• Will there be seams?
• Can I cut on concrete?
• If it's zero degrees outside today and it's supposed to be twice as cold tomorrow, how cold is it going to be?
• What are the color options?
• Do concrete countertops look the same every time?
• Who templates and installs this product?
• How old are you before it can be said you died of old age?
• I noticed you also make really amazing furniture to compliment the concrete, can you make me something?
• How do I order a custom product?
Our Concrete countertops and other products are a custom crafted material and are therefore priced accordingly. Consumers looking for a cost effective alternative to other solid surfaces will find that concrete is priced in the range of other very unique custom materials; and because we do only custom work each project is priced on a per design basis. Please contact us for a complimentary estimate for your project.
All of our concrete products are sealed with what we feel to be the best available products on the market. While it is possible to create stain proof concrete with multiple layers of heavy thick polyurethane, you are then left with a plastic countertop, and we dont do plastic. Therefore a compromise has to be made to achieve the element of stone with a stain resistance to withstand years of use. We have done just that, and through common sense kitchen cleanup you will enjoy your concrete product for a lifetime.
Routine cleaning of your counter can be done with most household cleaners. Abrasive cleaners such as Comet, or Brillo are not recommended. For residential surfaces we recommend the monthly or weekly application of Pledge furniture spray wax depending on the amount of use. Pledge is a very affective, quick and Easy way to beautify your concrete surface, but Pledge can also be used for your daily cleaning as well.
Absolutely, we strive to create beautiful, functional art that creates as little environmental impact as possible. To learn more about our passion for green building, please visit our Environment page.
In short, there are no industry standards. The architectural elements that we create are the result of an artisan craft. No two companies will create using the exact same techniques or materials. This is why it is important to ask questions, view work history, and choose someone you feel comfortable working with.
Concrete is a rigid material and if impacted with a heavy object concrete can chip much like any other stone surface. The good news is that most incidents are easily repaired. Structural cracking is primarily due to inexperience on the part of the fabricator, whether that be poor mix design, improper curing, or poor handling. Elements Concrete has maintained a history of no structural cracks, and we continually remain on the forefront of concrete advancements to ensure our clients a worry free product.
It's not anyone who works here.
All of our concrete products are precast in our Bozeman, Montana studio. History has shown that concrete poured-in-place cannot be properly cured and will eventually crack. We carefully control every aspect of the process in our controlled environment from the curing atmosphere to the finishing room. This is the only way that we have been able to maintain our history of zero structural cracks.
How thick would you like it? Something to keep in mind however is that the thickness of the countertop can also effect the height of the counters. If very thick counters are desired you may have to customize the cabinetry accordingly. It is also possible to have a "drop edge" in which the countertops appear to be, say, 6 thick but in reality the main thickness is only 1 1/2.
A 2 thick concrete countertop weighs about 23 pounds per square foot. Conventional cabinetry will support these slabs without a problem eliminating the need for any special substrate considerations.
About 12" of unsupported overhang is most common; however we have used some very innovative invisible support systems in the past that can increase cantilevers tremendously.
Depending on the design of the project we will insert seams where necessary. All seam placements will be discussed and shown on the proposal drawings. We also can incorporate the seams creatively into the overall design of the piece making them intentional rather than a necessary inconvenience.
Like most counter surfaces, we recommend that a cutting board be used on the concrete countertop to avoid dulling your knives and scratching the surface of the concrete. And while our concrete surfaces are impervious to heat, we also recommend the use of a trivet for hot pans.
We can custom match any Benjamin Moore or Pantone color sample. While earth tones are by far the most popular, we have had requests for everything from lemon yellow to grass green and everything in between.
No, the real beauty and appeal of using concrete is that each piece is unique and develops a character of its own during the finishing and curing process. They are true works of art and therefore no two are alike.
If your project is within our service area Elements will provide these services, otherwise we can review our guidelines with your local contractor or natural stone installer.
Older than dirt. But how old is dirt?
We would love to design or work with your designer to create an amazing furnishing for your home or office.
Most custom product can be delivered within four weeks. Here is the process:
1. Client faxes or emails Elements Artisan Concrete detailed project information with dimensional drawings.
2. We usually follow up with a phone call there are always questions to go over.
3. Elements Artisan Concrete will provide a written estimate free of charge.
4. Client returns phone call and says, "Great, let's get started!"
5. Meetings are scheduled to discuss color and finish selection, coordinating products etc.
6. Templates are made from existing cabinetry and 50% deposit is received.
7. Pieces are manufactured and delivered, and the remaining 50% of the invoice is due.